Dust mites are tiny, insect-like organisms that produce some of the most prevalent indoor allergens that can cause allergic responses and asthma in some people. You can find them lurking in your office carpets, furniture, and curtains. In healthcare facilities, you will find them in beds and linen.
Some people may experience allergic reactions from the tiny mites, including asthma, coughing, runny nose, itchy eyes and skin, rashes and hives, and breathing problems.
Dust mites thrive because they feed on dead skin cells, according to Healthline. One individual may lose 1.5 grams of dead skin cells daily, which can feed up to one million dust mites at once. This implies that a lot of dust mites can live in a workplace.
Therefore, dust-free workplaces are crucial for both the health and comfort of employees as well as for projecting a professional image to clients.
In this post, we will start with some general tips for removing dust mites, and then we will look at removing dust mites from carpets, upholstery, and curtains.
General Tips for Removing Dust Mites
Follow these suggestions to help initially prevent the presence of dust mites in your office.
- Remove any rugs and carpeting from your workspace.
- Make sure that all the upholstery is made of leather or faux leather.
- Hard surface blinds should take the place of all drapes.
- Clean all air ducts.
- Swap out your air filter regularly. Capture dust mites using an allergen-capturing filter.
- Cut your office's humidity to 50%.
Removing Dust Mites from Carpets
You must be vigilant if you want to get rid of dust mites from carpets because they can survive in many environments. To get rid of dust mites from the carpet in your office, use these tips:
- Keep it dry: humid conditions attract dust mites and many other unwelcome bugs.
- Heat and seam: Routine clean to keep your carpet free of dirt, dust mites, and other allergens with heat and steam. You can buy or rent a carpet steamer from your local hardware shop, but the best option would be to hire a professional service if you want the most complete and efficient carpet cleaning possible.
- Vacuum: While vacuuming won't get rid of dust mites, it can reduce their number and other allergens, leading to a cleaner, healthier home.
- Dust hard surfaces: Dust mites are drawn to dusty carpets. You must frequently dust and sanitize all hard surfaces in your house to avoid dust accumulation.
- Avoid window fans: If you want to keep your office free of additional allergens, stay away from using window fans. Window fans can introduce outside dirt and dust into your office, and when that dirt and dust settles, it also brings dust mites inside with it.
Removing Dust Mites from Upholstery
Having leather or faux leather upholstery around your office is the best way to prevent dust mites from residing there. These surfaces are less likely to harbor dust mites.
Other tips are below:
- Vacuuming: Vacuum your upholstery regularly. This applies to any couches, your office chairs, and even the cubicle walls. Here's a guide for cleaning walls.
- Leather Cleaner: If your furniture is made of leather or artificial materials, clean it with a leather cleaner.
- Deep Clean: Regularly deep clean your upholstery. We advise hiring a professional upholstery cleaning machine.
- Use Dust mite spray: Spray a dust mite spray on your carpet to eliminate dust mites.
Removing Dust Mites from Curtains
Curtains attract dust and provide dust mites with a cozy place to live. We advise removing your curtains and switching them out with hard surface blinds. Therefore, removing curtains is the greatest way to keep dust mites out.
In addition to these tips, routine dusting is one of the best strategies to keep dust mites at bay. Encourage your coworkers to regularly clear the area around their desks of any debris and dust.
How Commercial Cleaning Can Help
Commercial cleaning is a wise option for overall cleanliness and wellness, even if no employees in your office have allergies to dust mites. Getting your place of business, whether it be an office, hospital, restaurant, or any other form of business, frequently cleaned by a professional helps maintain the health of staff, clients, and visitors.
Helping Hands Commercial Cleaning is aware it might be challenging to keep up a strict cleaning schedule while operating a business.
We provide commercial cleaning in Willowbrook, IL, to various businesses to make them sanitary and allergy free. Our professional cleaners know how to maintain clean floors and surfaces and utilize industrial vacuum cleaners that can remove microscopic dust and other particles.